Types of fosterers needed
- Short-term fosterers to look after dogs and puppies while we look for homes for them. We need this type of fosterer all the time.
- Medium-term fosterers to look after dogs whose owners are in hospital. This type of fosterer is needed on an occasional basis.
What a foster dog/puppy needs
- First of all they need someone who loves and understands dogs, and who understands that dogs take time to adjust to a new environment, especially rescue dogs. We will never ask a fosterer to take a vicious dog.
- Foster dogs need to be kept in secure conditions from which they cannot escape. The back garden/yard needs to be securely fenced/walled, and all gates need to close securely. The dog/puppy would sleep in the house overnight, and would be in the house whenever the fosterer went out without it. The longest period a dog should be left alone is 4 hours. The longest period a puppy should be left alone 2 hours. The dog/puppy would need to be taken for walks appropriate to its size, breed and age.
- If the fosterer is living in rented premises, the landlord needs to give permission for animals to be kept there.
Food, equipment and vet care
- We will provide fosterers with dog food, feeding bowls, dog beds, collars and leads. If the dog needs to be brought to a vet a member of CDPA personnel will bring it.
- We will provide fosterers with training and support.
What to do if you would like to foster for us
- Call us on +353 1 888 0828 and we will place you on a list of fosterers.